23rd April marks the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth, with celebrations planned across the country. Shakespeare’s actual birthday is unknown but it is assumed to be this date as his baptism was recorded in the Parish register of Holy Trinity Church on 26th April.
- Born in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, in 1564.
- Married Anne Hathaway in 1582 and had three children.
- By 1592, he was in London working as an actor and a dramatist.
- He wrote at least 37 plays and collaborated on others.
- He retired from the theatre in 1613 and returned to Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Died in Stratford-upon-Avon in 1616 aged 52.
- In his will Shakespeare left his wife the 'second-best bed'.
- Shakespeare's first play was Henry V1. His last play was Henry VIII.
- At the GlobeTheatre people could buy apples to munch while they watched the play.