The UEFA European Championship 2016 or Euro 2016 for short kicks off later today in France! The competition is held every four years and Spain are the current defending champions, having won Euro 2008 and Euro 2012.
- 53 teams will be taking part in the qualifying competition.
- There will be 51 matches played – 20 more games than in 2012.
- 150 million spectators are expected to follow each game live.
- 13 out of the 16 teams that qualified in 2012 have qualified for Euro 2016, including England.
- 5 teams have qualified for a Euro final for the first time ever – Albania, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Slovakia and Wales.
- Scotland were the only team from the UK not to qualify for the finals. Former champions Greece, Netherlands and Denmark also failed to qualify.